“There is a great satisfaction in building good tools for other people to use”
– Freeman Dyson, Disturbing the Universe
( Note: I am now working part-time)
- Lead member of Oversight Committee for the evaluation of Strengthening Adaptation and Resilience to Climate Change in Kenya Plus (StARCK+) programme
- Quality Assurance and technical advisory support to Evaluation Department staff, in relation to
- the macro-evaluation of DFID’s investments in two policy areas: Empowerment and Accountability, and the Strategic Vision for Girls and Women
- a macro-evaluation of the effectiveness of regional approaches to development i.e. programmes which address regional issues, cross-border issues, or which bring several countries together. DFID has invested over £1bn in active regional programmes,
- Member of the Evaluation Reference Group for the DFID “Work In Freedom” project, which seeks to prevent the trafficking of Women and Girls from Nepal, India and Bangladesh into the garment and domestic work sectors in the Gulf.
- Member of the independent advisory group supporting the providers of Monitoring, Evaluating and Learning support to the International Climate Fund
- Presentation on Evaluating ‘loose’ Theories of Change” to DFID evaluation staff
- Synthesis of literature on evaluability assessments. Purpose:To produce a short practical note that summarises the literature on evaluability assessments, and highlights the main issues for consideration in commissioning an evaluability assessment
- Lead adviser on the design and implementation of an evaluablity assessment for evaluations of DFID investments in ‘Empowerment and Accountability’ and DFID’s Strategic Vision for Girls and Women”.
- Working with a team led by Elliot Stern with the task of “Developing a broader range of rigorous designs and methods for impact evaluations”
- Preparation of a paper “Working with loose Theories of Change” for the ODI Methods Lab project
- Member of Advisory Group for the ODI Policy Influence Monitoring Project – which will seek to monitor, evaluate and build the capacity of 3ie grantees as they seek to ensure that results of their impact evaluations are used by policy makers
- Complex systems tools: a PRF-funded research project – Working with Ben Ramalingam on exploring the use of network models for conceptualising and measuring change in DFID funded women and girls empowerment programmes
- Working with VSO staff, analysed data on the activities and outcomes of the ICS programme, using EvalC3 software package
- Two one-day workshops for BBC Media Action staff on possible approaches to the evaluation of portfolios of projects, including QCA, Decision Tree modeling, and evaluability assessments
- Advisory support re network analysis of research team collaboration being undertaken by the Institutional Learning and Change Initiative
- Developing and implementing an M&E Framework for the Australia–Mekong Non-Government Organisation Engagement Platform (AM-NEP), based in Hanoi
- Building M&E capacity of Gov of Vietnam partners in phase 4 of the AID funded Human Rights Technical Cooperation Project, implemented with the assistance of the Australian Human Rights Commission. This follows on from my earlier involvement in review and design stages of phase 3 and 4 respectively, described below 2010 review of the first three phases of this project, described below.
- Technical support with social network analysis of stakeholder relationships in the DFID-supported “Indonesia Evaluation Management Unit for Forestry, Land-use and Governance” (FLAG) Programme (2015-2018)
- Analysis of data accumulated on projects funded via the Civil Society Challenge Fund, including project proposal appraisals and projection completion report appraisals, with the intention of finding configurations of project attributes associated with particular categories of project outcomes. AKA a predictive analytics exercise.
- Workshop presentation and discussions on the uses of Evaluability Assessments, to staff of the Department for Monitoring and Evaluation (Prime Minister’s Office) plus Hungarian evaluation consultants who do ex-ante evaluations of EU programme proposals for that office. View the presentation.
- One day workshop on “Assessing evaluation plans, progress and outcomes” for Ministry of Finance and other government officials responsible for commissioning evaluations of EU structural fund projects, in association with Visionary Analytics
- Keynote speaker and discussant at Expert Meeting on Impact Measurement, The Hague. “Oxfam Novib has developed an approach to measure impact, called the World Citizens Panel. The World Citizens Panel is a balanced approach of qualitative and quantitative methods with a focus on changes in people’s lives and making these changes visible in an empowering, inclusive and rigorous way” See the presentation
- Training and planning sessions on uses of social network analysis tools to help refine project design, monitoring and evaluation plans for the DFID funded “Global Girl Research Initiative: What works to transform girls’ lives?” View the presentation
- Member of the ICS Evaluation Steering Committee, providing technical support with the analysis of data on the International Citizen Service programme (support, progress and outcomes) using EvalC3
- Working with Tracey Delaney to review World Vision’s experience with the use of the Most Significant Change (MSC) technique.
- Advisory support to the evaluation unit within SolarAid, London.
- Advisory support on evaluation issues to the Humanitarian Centre, Cambridge.
- Exploration of content analysis methods with MSC stories, with Results In Health, Leiden
- Exploration of methods suitable for evaluating portfolios of projects, with Comic Relief, London
Other ongoing activities
- Managing the website and moderating the associated email lists (2800+ members)
- Contributor to the Better Evaluation website, implemented by RMIT University, ILAC, PACT and ODI.
- Peer review of papers for publication in
- Book reviews (pre-publication drafts)
- Wageningen University
- Stanford University Press
- ITDG Publishing
Conference presentations and workshops
- UK Evaluation Society Conference, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- European Evaluation Society Conference, 2014, 2016